I used to think
I was overreacting.
now I realize
it was just a
to an abnormal
are drinking wine right from the
bottle and I know the length you
like to keep your fingernails. You
are cute when you hum to music
and think no one is listening. I
like to watch your hands when
you are talking on the phone and
imagining I’m the only person in
the world who knows these details.
If you ever go missing, I will
describe you to the police by
explaining the way your breath
sounds and how your jaw looks
when you are laughing." anne, little things (via endangerment)
When my children start to express curiosity about sexuality, I am not going to tell them that they’re too young to be asking or that “if you have sex you get pregnant”. The age at which children start to ask about sex indicates they are already ready to be talking about it. Some parents may find it is much earlier than they expected, and others may find that their children never want to talk about sexuality. It is a very personal subject, but it should not be taboo.
When a girl walks into the restaurant wearing a tight skirt, I am not going to tell my daughter that the girl is a slut and forbid her from dressing similarly. Instead, I am not going to comment at all unless someone else does. Whether it is a nudist walking in or a woman wearing a burka, it will not be my place to comment and I will teach my children to never voice their judgments either. However, if my children or anyone else comments on the “slut” walking in, I am going to tell them that you cannot judge how many people someone sleeps with based off how they dress, and that you should not judge them based off how many people they sleep with either.
When my son teases his friend that he is being a “pussy”, I will chastise him. I will not have my children contribute to a society that condemns femininity. I am also going to tell my son that he is not obligated to dedicate his life to masculinity, nor sentence anyone else to a specific gender role. My children will not think that their gender correlates to a specific color or behavior. People are not pure shades of pink and blue, but rather unique combinations with real texture.
When my children start to lock their doors and bring home partners, I am not going to forbid them from getting physical or demand to know every detail. Instead, I will make sure that they know everything about being safe and have clear access to protection. I will not be that parent that starts screaming hysterically when they find a condom in their child’s bedroom. Through communication and honesty, I will make sure that my children can have the safest and most fulfilling sex life possible." the way sexuality was never addressed in my family (via aichikyuu)
1. I will kiss girls who remind me of Ophelia and boys why remind me of Holden Caulfield I will lick their sadness off of their lips and spit it to the pavement I will not swallow it maybe I will text them back the next morning
2. I will talk to someone new every day I am living in a beehive of adolescence a 1,000 page bildungsroman squeezed into a grassy campus I will listen to all the stories I can fit into my brain when it overflows I will go to sleep and try again tomorrow
3. I will fall in love with that tall, thin girl with newly died strawberry hair who I ate ice cream with under a tree, with the blonde girl with athlete’s shoulders and a swoop of apathy under one eye who grew beans in a greenhouse that she designed with 3D printing software, with the tiny old woman who works in the psychology department and who looked at me like a pearl in an oyster when I told her I loved cognitive science, with the boy who wondered aloud why everyone is always following a path and then proceeded to run barefoot down a grassy hill even though he had no idea where he was going. A year from now I will love them all, right now I don’t even know their names.
4. I will learn the names of all the constellations and the wildflowers and the bugs and ducks and snails I will impress people with how beautiful the world is and I will teach them that sometimes being part of this earth means picking up an almanac, means asking questions like “what’s that beetle called?”
5. I will read hungrily everything assigned and recommended to me
6. I will do the typical college things: I will funnel beer I will question my existence I will sleep through class I will change my ideologies I will disappoint my parents I will start an underground movement I will buy cheap vodka I will buy and old military jacket I will buy forgiveness I will liberate myself I will wonder who I am I will funnel beer" six goals for my first year of college (via porn4smartgirls)
100% of people who tell you you’re too sensitive are saying it because they don’t want to be held responsible for your reaction when they mistreat you
I need feminism; because the bra straps of a twelve year old shouldn’t make a 40 year old married principal with two daughters “uncomfortable”